Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ex(change)

Logically, in the week leading up to a six month long exchange, one would spend most of their time packing and preparing. However, I have been procrastinating and my poison of choice has been the creation of a travel blog. In the past few days, I have spent countless hours testing blogs on various websites. It took me the duration of family movie night to realize that Wordpress wasn't worth the effort. This revelation was followed by a lesson in the downfalls of Tumblr the subsequent morning.

After what felt like an eternity of frustration riddled with html code and cheesy blog backgrounds, I decided to stick to what I know, and what I know is Blogger. I racked my brain for the perfect title to sum up my impending exchange and after polling friends and family, I settled on the title "The Local Foreigner". This title encompassed the fact that during my trip I would live the life of a local while remaining a foreigner by nature. Unfortunately, "thelocalforeigner.blogspot.com" was already claimed.

Upon my mother's suggestion, I kept the title and simply changed the url to be "Ishani's exchange". Later that day, I proudly showed the product of three days work to my close friend. As I typed in the url, she turned to me with her eyes wide and then burst into fits of laughter. Once she caught her breath she showed me that my new and improved url "ishanisexchange.blogspot.com" did not just read "Ishani's exchange" but also "Ishani Sex Change".

Though I have been told that this trip will make me into a whole new person, that was a bit more of a change than I am ready to handle. I quickly removed the blog from the interweb to avoid any calls from concerned relatives and came up with an entirely new site. My new blog may not have the same dramatic title as its predecessor, but my trip is meant to be transnational, not transgendered. To settle any confusion, gender-related or otherwise; I needed a change.

To read about my transition and so much more, be sure to head on over to "Tripping through the EU" (www.trippingthroughtheeu.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment