Monday, September 14, 2009

Jamaican Bakin'

Forgive me readers for I have sinned, it has been far too long since my last post.

In a drastic attempt ensure that I didn’t return to school looking whiter than the actual white kids; I packed up my friends, packed up my family, and packed up my acceptable tan line outfits and headed off to Jamaica. Usually, my family vacations don’t include much relaxation. For as long as I can remember, our trips have been filled with daily excursions, early mornings, sight seeing, and an overload of obnoxious picture taking. Jamaica; however, is an island devoted to taking it easy and we decided to take that to heart. Our travel clan camped out at one of the zillions of all inclusive resorts that lines the shores of Montego Bay and spent a week sipping on free rum and eating seven meals a day. Watching vacationing Americans go from leathery to lobster red while munching on fresh jerk chicken has never been so satisfying.



Unfortunately, I returned with much more than a sun kissed glow. I am now so dark that you can barely see me at night and my bikini has been permanently imprinted on my body. I also discovered that contrary to the saying, there is actually no such thing as an ‘Indian sunburn’. I went straight from pasty to peeling with no redness in between. My shoulders now look like they have an army camo pattern embedded into them.

Thankfully, the start of school means that I will be trading the sun in for fluorescent library lighting so my toasted tan will fade to a healthy golden brown by December.

No comments:

Post a Comment